TLIC3004 Drive heavy rigid vehicle
This course is designed for individuals who are looking to apply for a Heavy Rigid (HR) licence class. The course is delivered consistent with the National Unit of Competency, and as an Authorised Department of Transport agent, assessment is conducted to the required licence standard.
During training and assessment you will cover the following core areas:
- Conducting pre-start vehicle checks
- Correct, safe and efficient driving techniques (manoeuvring, reversing, power management, braking and positioning the vehicle)
- Fatigue management
- Low risk driving behaviours
- Managing emergencies and hazardous situations
- Trip planning
- Relevant legal requirements
What you can drive
Heavy rigid vehicles are defined as a motor vehicle that has 3 or more axles and a gross vehicle mass greater than 8 tonnes.
If you are authorised to drive HR class vehicles you may drive any:
- Motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motor carrier, that has at least 3 axles and GVM greater than 8 tonnes
- Medium Rigid (MR), Light Rigid (LR), Car class (C)
- Moped (R-N class).
Licence conditions – Heavy Rigid
- Condition A; This is the most restrictive HR class as drivers are restricted to automatic vehicles
- Condition B; Training and assessment is conducted with the synchromesh (single clutch) gearbox. Drivers are restricted to vehicles with either automatic or synchromesh gearboxes
- Unrestricted; Training and assessment is conducted using a constant mesh ‘road ranger’ gear box, which requires operators to double clutch. This class is the least restrictive as drivers are able to drive automatic, synchromesh or road ranger HR class vehicles.
To be eligible to apply for a HR class licence, you must have one of the following Western Australian licence classes:
- A Car (C class) licence for at least 2 years (any time that you have spent on a P1 licence counts; or
- A Light Rigid (LR class) heavy vehicle licence for at least 1 year; or
- A Medium Rigid (MR class) heavy vehicle licence for at least 1 year
For more information regarding this class of licence:
To book or find out more contact one of the friendly team at Keens. Information required at time of booking include:
Full name, drivers licence number, date of birth and expiry date.
Ability to pay course deposit (required to secure bookings).
USI number (to find out more click here).
Be able to read and write basic English
Minimum 18 years of age
Provide two forms of identification
You will be required to supply Keens Truck Driver Training Bunbury with your Unique Student Identifier, in order for it to be verified prior to issuance of your Statement of Attainment.
Heavy Rigid Course Costings
HR- 1 hour lesson (Automatic, Synchromesh or Road Ranger) $120.00 (fully payable upon booking)
1/2 Day HR-A Automatic Course $670.00 (Deposit of $335.00)
This course consists of 4 hours of one-on-one driver training, a theory assessment, followed by a Test at the end with a Keens Assessor.
1 Day HR-B Synchromesh Course $895.00 (Deposit of $450.00)
This course consists of 6 hours of one-on-one driver training, a theory assessment, followed by a Test at the end with a Keens Assessor.
2 Day HR Unrestricted Road Ranger Course $1255.00 (Deposit of $635.00)
This course consists of 9 hours of one-on-one driver training over 2 days, a theory assessment, followed by a Test at the end with a Keens Assessor.
Keens Truck Driver Training Bunbury have a strict seven (7) Day Cancellation Period Policy. If you wish to cancel, reschedule or move your booking, you MUST give seven (7) days notice, otherwise you WILL forfeit your full deposit.