HC Drive heavy combination vehicle
This course is designed for individuals who are looking to apply for a Heavy Combination (HC) licence class.
The course is delivered consistent with the National Unit of Competency, and as an Authorised Department of Transport Agent, assessments are conducted to the required licence standard.
During training and assessment you will cover the following core areas
- Conducting pre-start vehicle checks
- Correct, safe and efficient driving techniques (manoeuvring, reversing, power management, braking and positioning the vehicle)
- Fatigue management
- Low risk driving behaviours
- Managing emergencies and hazardous situations
- Trip planning
- Coupling and uncoupling procedures
- Relevant legal requirements
What you can drive
A Heavy Combination is a prime mover to which is attached a semi-trailer plus any unladen converter dolly, or rigid motor vehicle attached to a trailer that has a vehicle mass greater than 9 tonnes plus any unladen converter dolly.
If you are authorised to drive HC class vehicles you may drive any:
- Motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motor carrier, that is attached to a semi-trailer or trailer that has a GVM exceeding 9 tonnes,
- Heavy Rigid (HR),
- Medium Rigid (MR),
- Light Rigid (LR),
- Car class (C),
- Moped (R-N class).
Licence conditions – Heavy Combination
- Condition A; This is the most restrictive HR class as drivers are restricted to automatic vehicles
- Condition B; Training and assessment is conducted with the synchromesh (single clutch) gearbox. Drivers are restricted to vehicles with either automatic or synchromesh gearboxes
- Unrestricted; Training and assessment is conducted using a constant mesh ‘road ranger’ gear box, which requires operators to double clutch. This class is the least restrictive as drivers are able to drive automatic, synchromesh or road ranger HR class vehicles.
To be eligible to apply for an HC class licence, you must have one of the following Western Australian licence classes:
- A Car (C class) licence for at least 3 years; and
- A Medium Rigid (MR class) heavy vehicle licence for at least 1 year; or
- A Heavy Rigid (HR class) heavy vehicle licence for at least 1 year
For more information regarding this class of licence:
To book or find out more contact one of the friendly team at Keens. Information required at time of booking include:
Full name, drivers licence number, date of birth and expiry date.
Ability to pay course deposit (required to secure bookings).
USI number (to find out more click here).
Be able to read and write basic English
Minimum 18 years of age
Provide two forms of identification
You will be required to supply Keens Truck Driver Training Bunbury with your Unique Student Identifier, in order for it to be verified prior to issuance of your Statement of Attainment.
Heavy Combination Course Costings
HC- 1 hour lesson (Automatic, Synchromesh or Road Ranger) $155.00 (fully payable upon booking)
1 Day HC Course (Automatic only) $1190.00 (Deposit of $595.00) This course consists of 4 hours of one-on-one driver training, a written theory assessment, the 2 hour Driving Assessment Test, and the Department of Transport PDA Assessment Fee.Driving Assessment with a Keens Department of Transport Authorised Assessor. This course is for experienced drivers only. You must have exprience driving on registered roads with 2 Trailers on. You must be able to provide proof of this prior training.
2 Day HC Course (Automatic or Synchromesh gearbox only) $1655.00 (Deposit of $855.00) This course consists of 7 hours of one-on-one driver training over 2 days, a written theory assessment, followed by a Test at the end with a Keens Assessor.Driving Assessment with a Keens Department of Transport Authorised Assessor.
2 Day HC Course (Roadranger Gearbox only) (Coming from an MR Licence) $2200.00 (Deposit of $1100.00) This course consists of 3 hours of one-on-one driver training in a Heavy Rigid Truck with a Roadranger Gearbox. This is followed by a HC course (in a Truck with a Roadranger Gearbox also), that consists of 7 hours of one on one driver training over 2 days, a written theory assessment, followed by a Test at the end with a Keens Assessor.Driving Assessment with a Keens Department of Transport Authorised Assessor.
Please note: That a strict ( 7 ) Seven Day Cancellation Policy applies to all bookings.
If you would like to Cancel, Change or Reschedule a Booking Keen’s Driver Training Bunbury require
a minimum of seven (7) days’ notice. If you fail to provide seven (7) days’ notice your deposit is non-refundable.
Keen’s Driver Training Bunbury charge a $80.00 Administration Fee. The fee is included in the Course Fee and is non-refundable.
More details on our services terms, conditions and policies are available from our website on the download’s page.
All prices are correct as from 17/02/2022, and are subject to change without notice.